Heading to Moscow

As soon as I arrived to Buffalo airport I found out that my flight to Moscow has been changed. I made my reservations with Delta and expected to fly with Delta, but when I checked in I was told that there are some changes and that I will fly to Moscow on the Russian airline, Aeroflot. My arrival time to Moscow should be a little latter than my previously scheduled time of 11 am.  I felt that was just perfect because my friend G. was expected to get to Moscow at 4pm, so my time to wait for him would be shorter. After that I had to wait another 4 hours at the airport to catch my flight to JFK airport in New York from where my flight to Moscow would start.  JFK is a huge airport and once there I had to hustle to find the wing where Aeroflot is located. I got there in just in time, but it is interesting how the airport changes depending on what airlines are at a particular wing. Here, the shops and the the eateries were much simpler, the bathrooms less cleaner and the seating areas were shabbier. The check in ladies spoke very little English and on the plane almost everyone spoke only Russian. For me that was good, because I started adjusting myself to the Russian language. We left around 7 pm and since we were flying East the whole flight was mostly night flight. After dinner was served most of us slept almost the entire flight.
The arrival to the Sheremetyevo airport was uneventful, but getting to the customs was a very, very long walk through really clean and bright corridors. This should have been my first clue of  the size of Moscow - how everything is over big and far apart. Once I went through the customs I came to an area where one needs to find  transportation to get to the city, or at least transportation to the nearest Metro station. The city is at least an hour's drive from the airport. As I am an older lady, the taxi drivers were constantly approaching me to offer rides so I started practicing my first Russian: "Net" meaning "No" and "Spasibo" meaning "Thank you". It worked. When my friend G. arrived around 4pm we took care of some business like getting "rubles" and buying our train tickets to Kiev. Then we took the bus number 817 to the nearest Metro station, Planetarnaya,  about forty minutes away. During bus ride we learned that the road signs mean little - if the bus driver, or a any driver wants to pass someone they will get on the sidewalk or in the fields on the side of the road. The young people in Russia are raised to always offer their seats to "pensioners", meaning senior citizens, so right away I got to seat on the bus. Also, on the metros there is a repeating announcement to remember the give up seats to older people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mid Carolina Run Shop Hop 2012

Blessings

My birth place, Novi Sad Serbia